Are you annoyed by being tagged on Facebook? Millions of people use Facebook extensively, but hardly a few even know that they can disable tagging on Facebook. Many people know that they can disable tagging but they are too lazy to find and change that setting. May be because Facebook’s settings are not so user-friendly. Or they keep changing settings and sometimes it is really difficult to find some setting. (Hope they will improve.)
Tagging is great thing, but often it becomes a nuisance when a friend tags you in an offensive or improper photo. It becomes even worst when you are unaware of that, being away or offline from Facebook. I have often seen many of my friends posting a status update requesting something like “Please do not tag me in photos”! But there is a better option. You can disable photo tagging in Facebook. Actually that is not disabling the tagging, but they are kept “pending” for your review before they appear on Facebook to public. So in fact we are not disabling the tagging, but we are rather enabling tag review. So, whenever somebody tags a photo of you, you get a notification like “xxx added a photo of you. To add this to your timeline, go to Timeline Review.” So you do not appear as tagged to other persons until you go to your timeline and approve the tag. However, the person who tagged you will see you as tagged and will not be able to know that you have disabled tagging! Here’s the quick way to do that:
1. Open Account Settings using Settings button at top right while in your Facebook account. Then click on Timeline and Tagging tab in the left pane. 2. Now to the right pane, Look at the last settings group titled “How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions?” In that group, find “Review tags people add to your own posts before the tags appear on Facebook?” It should be showing off if tagging review is disabled.
3. Click Edit to change it and then select “Enabled”.
You are done! Tag reviews are just enabled on your timeline. You will have a list of things you are tagged in on your timeline. You can approve or delete them whenever you want. You will appear as tagged only when you approve a tag. Lastly, do not forget to approve when your friends tag you in photos you love; you should approve. I like it when many of my friends tag me in great stuff and I love to approve those.
Hide Your Posts From Particular Friends
I received a few questions on how to hide posts from particular friends, still being friends with them (and of course, without blocking them). Facebook provides an easy setting for it. Here you go:
1. Open Privacy Settings using Settings button at top right.
2. Look for the first group ‘Who can see my stuff?’ in the right pane.
3. Look for the first item in right pane: Who can see your future posts? Click Edit button beside that setting. You will see settings like Public, Friends, Only Me and Custom. This specifies who can see all your posts by default, unless otherwise you specify in a particular post itself.
4. Choose “Custom“. A window will open which will ask you whether you want to share or hide your posts from friends or groups you type in. Start typing the names you want to show or hide from.
Do you know any useful but less known Facebook trick? Please comment and share with us.